Saturday 22 October 2016

What to Expect from a Daisy Birthing Class?

If you're reading this and you're expecting I just want to congratulate you on taking the time out to consider birth preparation...I think it's the best investment you can give yourself and your baby. A positive birth experience is priceless! and the positivity definitely continues in to motherhood.

So what's a Daisy Birthing class actually like? or to be exact what are the classes in Burnham on Sea, Street or Ilchester like?

Before you arrive we'll have probably talked on the phone and at the very least had a few email conversations. I will have already sent you a confirmation e-mail asking you to wear loose clothing and to bring a drink...Relaxation can be thirsty work!

On arrival you'll be invited to take your shoes off, choose a mat and get yourself comfortable. The layout of a class varies but I like to set out the class in a circle with a central focal point. I think it's really important to set the scene for relaxation so I like the room to be cosy and warm, smelling inviting and have nice lighting...I'm hoping this will teach you to set the scene for your own birthing environment.

After introductions, checking everybody is OK and a quick chat I will invite you to begin. I always feel excited at the beginning of a class. I enjoy helping all the mums to relax and one of my favourite parts of a class is the education section which I usually start after the initial relaxation. 

With 'Silver Lake' the Daisy music playing, I invite everybody to choose their favourite seated position as taught in class and I will guide you into a relaxing, rhythmic breathing pattern. This breath is fantastic for keeping you calm so we practice this a lot so it becomes second nature to you on birthing day. Whilst breathing and relaxing I will take you through a visualisation that you will also use to remain calm.

Once everyone is relaxed and breathing I move on through a range of seated movements to help ease any pregnancy niggles that you might have whilst still guiding your breathing. A set of affirmations then leads us in to the education section. 


Each week we have a different topic to focus on and the points discussed are always linked back to how your body works or may behave at different stages of labour. The education taught helps you prepare physically and emotionally and it will also help inform your choices, so nothing is left un-discussed. We know that when a woman experiences a positive birth this is usually down to how well she's been heard, respected for her choices and how well she's been informed and not necessarily about how the birth physically progressed because this can't always be guaranteed.

After this section we move on to a flowing segment using a range of movements from seated, to all fours, to standing. Again I will be leading the breathing and relaxation and as I guide you into a position I will be informing you of the benefits for both pregnancy and birth. Each week I will introduce new movements as well as different breaths for different stages. Positive birth affirmations will also be used again.

Once this segment is completed I will ask you to lay down, get cosy and warm, the lights will be dimmed and I will guide you through a birth hypnosis script. This takes us to the end of a Daisy Birthing class and you will leave feeling totally relaxed and more confident about your upcoming birth and the choices you will make.

The support doesn't end there either, for when you get home I will be adding a follow up from the class on our private Facebook chat group to support you until the next session. This group has mums old and new and is a great way to keep in touch too.You'll be invited to mums meet ups for a coffee and a chat and I'll let you know about what's going on locally to support you both antenatally and postnatally. 

So if this sounds like a fantastic way to prepare for birth then come join 'your' Daisy Birthing class...teaching you how to prepare for a positive birthing experience and in the meantime why don't you join my private Facebook group to start receiving that 'bump to babe' support www.facebook.com/groups/DaisyChatBonSea/ 

I look forward to meeting you soon


Jo xx  

jo-fellowes@thedaisyfoundation.com





          

No comments:

Post a Comment