Tuesday 18 October 2016

Birth Announcement From a Daisy Mum...Jenna

Our son Harrison decided to (quickly) join the family a day after my due date. 

Woke up at 6am Thursday morning with "niggles" they were still there at 7am but only mild so I got out of bed and sat bouncing on my ball in the bedroom till my two children woke up. I still wasn't sure if this was "IT" but thought I'd get in some breathing practice. Doing the 4&8 breath, staying calm, feeling relaxed. My children woke up, I went downstairs and sorted their breakfast, by about 7.30 the waves were getting a little stronger and I told my husband "I don't think you'll be going to work today" so we got the kids ready for school. Mother in law came out of work to do the school run at 8.40. I stayed on my feet the entire time, mostly leaning on things, but I found sitting or laying uncomfortable. Waves were about 6 minutes apart and I was told when they got to 5 minutes apart to ring the hospital to go in for IV antibiotics (I had Group B Strep detected in this pregnancy) but about 9.30am they jumped from 6 minutes to 3 minutes. At this point I was using my escalator breath, still on my feet and staying calm, my husband rung the hospital and said I was in labour and that I wanted a water birth. They had said to him "that's fine but we can hear her in the back ground and I don't think she'll quite make the pool" even went on to say "if she has the baby in the car just pull on to the hard shoulder and call an ambulance" my husband replied "okay, great thanks!" My husband never told me this conversation until after baby was born. He just said come on lets go in now and we made our way to hospital at 10am. He was very quiet all the way. Ha. Got to the hospital at 10.45am, I felt very shaky and I knew from the education part of class about the signs of transition. I knew where I was in my labour and stayed calm. Although at 11am I did ask for gas and air, As I wasn't in the water like I had wanted or planned I did fear "the burn" so felt like I needed the gas and air for comfort. My waters went at 11.10am and my body started naturally pushing, it wasn't forced, still focused on my breaths I let my body do what it wanted to do. 4 minutes later Harrison was here. I didn't have any antibiotics, which isn't a bad thing, he had to have 12 hours observations anyway, whether I had them or not, which went well. 


I had two terms of Daisy classes with Joanne Fellowes in B.O.S and it was the best thing I did. I wish it had of been around for my first two pregnancies. The midwife even complimented me on my breathing and said how well I did. I could stay calm as I felt like I was more educated in the process of labour and the breathing techniques worked like a charm. Thank you Jo!





No comments:

Post a Comment